Friday, April 10, 2009

Animal Magnetism

Her back to the glass, coyishly playing hard to get, she glances over her shoulder as I lingeringly walk by - admittedly, with a growing curiosity of my own. Our eyes meet; an awkward knowing moment from which we both reel away in embarrassed pride. Feigning indifference, I sit, our backs separated by two inches of transparent rigidity. But I pick up on her receptivity; it calls to me with a suggestion of softness. I delight in her amused yearning to make contact while saying nothing. Fueled by my own attraction, I turn to tease and, in turning, reveal the fanny pack at my waist...

It captures her eye, and she swings around to face me. Her anticipation winks at me in quiet excitement as her smile reaches through the glass to greet me.











With my own delight at her fascination, I show her item after item buried in the sanctuary of my pack.




Her excitement warms us both, as if there were no glass between us; only 2 children wondering what's next, enraptured by the parade of objects, big and small, coming out of the pack at my pants.






With unspoken suggestivity, I pull out the last items hovering at my hips: my little note pad and pen.






As if pleading for a demonstration of my true feelings, her look prods me to draw for her.









Amidst the unfolding process of my artistry, I show her the evolution of my sketch, her mind stretching to make familiar order out of my flat thin lines.






And the closer I get to completing the drawing, the more her fascination beams back to me through the glass.












At last, with portrait complete, I show her my portrayal. What only moments ago registered confusion, now conveys understanding. Familiarity takes form depicted in a round head, big eyes, and outstanding ears.










In the awkward silence of the moment, I point to the drawing, then, with enveloping eye contact, point to her...





Together, we laugh and laugh and laugh!


No comments:

Post a Comment